The Senior Planner, working under the general supervision of our Planning Manager, is responsible for: preparing development applications for private sector clients and processing the application through entitlements. This includes evaluating proposals and ensuring consistency with applicable codes, polices, law; interacting with agency staff; managing consultants; preparing and making oral presentations to decision makers and clients, facilitating public outreach/community meetings; reviewing and commenting on staff reports and environmental documents. Other duties would include writing documents such as zoning ordinances; specific plans, master plans, strategic plans, feasibility studies, site and master planning; and contract planning for agencies.
The Planner will have project management duties including directing support staff, client management, and schedule and budget management. Travel for business may be required for project work and interoffice coordination. This position is expected to be able to effectively delegate assignments, direct and manage research of code requirements, laws and ordinances, and official records, and ensure quality control in document and plan preparation.
• A minimum of 5 to 7 years of planning experience equivalent to the class of an Associate Planner.
• A Bachelor’s degree in urban and regional planning, environmental studies, or life, physical, or social sciences, or other related field.
• Knowledge of California Planning and Development Law and CEQA.
• Proficiency in the following required: Microsoft Office and Adobe Suites.
• Professional certification or licensing.
• An understanding of other graphic software programs (e.g. GIS, AutoCAD, etc.).
• Experience in both the public sector and a private consulting firm setting.
RRM Design Group was established in 1974. We are a collaborative team comprised of Architects, Planners, Landscape Architects, Civil and Structural Engineers and Surveyors. We have four offices in California: San Luis Obispo, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Barbara and San Leandro. We work in both the Public and Private sector. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including full medical, dental, vision, 401(k) and Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP). If you would like to be a part of a collaborative and innovative team that is professional and fun, then RRM is the place for you!