The Planning Division Intern position is designed to provide entry level exposure to graduate and undergraduate students or recent college graduates pursuing a career in public sector planning or a related field. This position is designed to be part-time with flexible time frames so that students/recent graduates can combine them with a class or other work schedules.
Interns assist in achieving the Community Development Department’s goals and objectives by working with our team to complete assigned tasks and projects. They will have the opportunity to learn about general operating procedures, public service, and the workings of City government, as well as specific skills, which may include but are not limited to: analyzing data, plan review, developing reports, researching policy, and performing administrative and/or technical support tasks. Interns will have the opportunity to gain experience in both current and advanced planning.
This is a paid position, and will not exceed 20 hours a week. Please note that a minimum of a six month commitment is required.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The typical duties assigned to the position include, but are not limited to:
• Perform a variety of planning related tasks in support of the Community Development Department.
• Assist customers with Zoning Code related questions at the public counter and phone.
• Learn basic skills in review of architectural plans involving residential, commercial and industrial projects.
• Perform field investigations, take photos, and assist in the preparation of reports and presentations for assigned projects.
• Analyze statistical data, complete surveys, perform research and develop reports.
• Assist staff with preparation of staff reports.
• Complete various research related tasks associated with providing assistance to the citizens of Dana Point.
• Prepare a variety of illustrations, certificates, and visual aids for various meetings and presentations.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Paid, 20 hours per week
$11.78 – $15.94 / hr.
Year-Round Program – 6 month min required