The City of Lomita is now accepting applications for the position of Assistant Planner. Under general supervision of the Principal Planner, the ideal candidate will effectively administer planning and zoning regulations, including project application and plan review, writing of staff reports, and staffing the public counter.
Salary: $4,772- $5,927 per month
(Salary currently under review)
• Provide zoning and planning information to the public at the public counter, by telephone, email and other written correspondence; prepare a variety of written reports, memoranda, and correspondence.
• Accept and review zoning and subdivision application materials; review architectural and construction drawings to determine compliance; complete initial studies pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act; review traffic studies, parking studies, and other technical reports; prepare simple traffic and parking studies.
• Write staff reports to the Planning Commission and City Council relative to zoning and subdivision applications and ordinances; present staff reports at Planning Commission meetings.
• Research and draft zoning and subdivision ordinance amendments; review new State and Federal laws for local implementation; arrange and conduct meetings with community groups about planning and zoning matters.
• Conduct site inspections; conduct final inspections for various development projects to ensure compliance with conditions of approval and mitigation measures.
• Confer with the Public Works Department for public improvement requirements associated with zoning and subdivision applications; confer with the Building Department on building code issues related to new development.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A bachelor’s degree in urban planning or a related field from an accredited college or university and one year of experience in a municipal planning agency.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Must have knowledge of pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes, and regulations related to zoning, land use, and environmental review. Must have knowledge of customer service methods and techniques and modern office practices, methods and computer equipment and software, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel. Must have skill in reading, analyzing, and interpreting technical procedures and government regulations written in English and mathematical skill in computing ratios, rates, and percents and drawing and interpreting graphs.
Must have the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; understand and follow oral and written directions; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, to individuals and groups; establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors and coworkers; deal courteously with the public.
APPLICATION, FILING DEADLINE AND SELECTION PROCESS
Application and Job Announcement may be obtained at the City of Lomita, 24300 Narbonne Avenue, Lomita, CA, or by calling (310) 325-7110 Extension 151 or Extension 127, or by visiting our website at www.lomita.com/cityhall/jobs. To apply, submit a City of Lomita Employment Application by mail or in-person to City of Lomita, 24300 Narbonne Avenue, Lomita, CA 90717. Postmarks, emailed or faxed applications are not accepted. This recruitment will remain open until filled, with the first review of applications occurring on Friday, October 16, 2015.
All applicants will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this job announcement. Only those candidates determined to be the most qualified on the basis of experience, training, and education will be invited to participate further in the selection process.