The City of La Habra is conducting a search to fill the position of Assistant Planner and to establish an eligibility list for future openings. The Assistant Planner is a professional level position which reports to the Planning Manager. Employees hired after January 1, 2013 and who are new to CalPERS, or are returning CalPERS members with a break in service greater than six months, will be enrolled in the 2% @ 62 retirement plan formula and will be required to pay 50 percent of the normal PERS cost.
Under general supervision, with some latitude for the exercise of independent judgement, assist in implementing zoning laws and ordinances; conduct research projects; and extensive interaction with the public in order to assist the Planning Manager in the performance of routine professional work within the Planning Division and the Community Development Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES (Duties may include, but are not limited to the following):
* Performs various administrative functions for the department, including accepting planning applications and development permits for processing.
* Prepares correspondence with the public as it relates to the functions performed by the Community Development Department.
* Checks and approves commercial, industrial, and residential development plans when in full compliance with Zoning Code requirements.
* Assists in coordination efforts with Departments in the review and processing of development plans.
* Assists in the review of Special Event permits.
* Researches, analyzes, and interprets social, economic, population, housing, and land use data and trends.
* Gathers and maintains demographic data and other related statistics.
* Conducts field studies and surveys to collect original research data for City planning purposes.
* Provides information and assistance to the public at the counter or over the phone.
* Prepares reports and makes recommendations.
* Prepares and presents reports to various bodies, including but not limited to the Development Review Committee, Planning Commission, and City Council.
* Attend various meetings and makes presentations to community groups, and outside agencies.
* Performs other related duties as required.
QUALIFYING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
> City Government and the functions of its various departments.
> Principles, practices, techniques, and purposes of City planning.
> Principles applicable to the collection, compilation, analysis, and presentation of data pertaining to City and master planning and urban renewal.
> Provisions of local, state, and federal laws relating to City, regional, and master planning.
> Accepted practices applicable to local and state laws relating to the Permit Streamlining Act, Subdivision Map Act, California Environmental Quality Act, zoning, land subdivision and control, and land use.
> Principles and techniques involved in the maintenance of a comprehensive General Plan.
> Zoning Codes and their implementation.
> Organize, prepare, and present complete and accurate reports.
> Operate a computer.
> Use various software systems including Microsoft Office and Outlook software programs.
> Deal tactfully and effectively with personnel of other agencies, public officials, other employees, and the public.
> Speak clearly, assertively, and effectively before professional and civic groups, public gatherings, and in presenting reports and recommendations to governmental agencies.
> Establish and maintain professional working relationships with others.
> Provide excellent customer service to members of the community and all those contacted while performing job functions.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Experience or combination of education and experience providing the qualifying knowledge, skills, and abilities. A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in urban planning, geography, architecture, or related field is preferred. GIS experience and knowledge of ARCVIEW and ARCINFO is desirable.
CERTIFICATES OR LICENSES:
Must possess and maintain a California C driver’s license.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications are available on the City’s website at www.lahabraca.gov or in Human Resources Department. Completed applications will be accepted until 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, August 4, 2016. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City application. Applications will be screened and those applicants deemed best qualified will be invited for an oral interview. The final candidate must successfully complete a medical exam, drug screening, employment history verification, DMV check and will also be fingerprinted.
If any accommodation is needed during the interviewing or testing process, please notify the Human Resources Department at least five days in advance of your scheduled appointment so that we may be able to provide a reasonable accommodation.
This bulletin is not a contract, neither expressed nor implied. Any provision herein may be modified or revoked.
*$3,757/mo. – $5,286/mo. ($21.674/hr. – $30.497/hr.)
**$3,979/mo. – $5,599/mo. ($22.955/hr. – $32.301/hr.)
*Hired on or after 7/1/2010
**Hired before 7/1/2010
Equal Opportunity Employer – women and minorities encouraged to apply