PlaceWorks is searching for a full-time, entry-level technical specialist with a specific interest in or experience with noise, air quality, and CEQA compliance, to join the Environmental Team in our Berkeley or Santa Ana office. We are looking for an individual with approximately 0 – 3 years of technical experience (such as through a college degree, accreditation program, or internship) conducting environmental noise, acoustics, and vibration impact assessments and/or air quality technical analyses and studies, who is self-starting, outgoing, collaborative, and passionate about helping shape and improve communities and the environment.
Working in a collaborative and casual work environment under the guidance of skilled project managers and other senior staff, this technical specialist will support project teams by conducting noise and vibration impact assessments and modeling, air quality and greenhouse gas technical analyses (modeling and interpreting data), and other technical studies to prepare environmental impact assessment documentation per the CEQA and NEPA for a variety of project types. Typical projects of our environmental practice include environmental review of general and specific plans, schools, parks, mixed-use development, commercial centers, and infrastructure projects.
You’re most likely a fit if:
• You love planning for the future of communities and making a difference with your work.
• You have familiarity with or experience conducting noise/acoustic modeling for transportation and construction-related noise and vibration impacts using sound propagation modeling such as: TNM, SoundPLAN, and CadnaA and/or with air quality and GHG mass emission and dispersion modeling programs such as: CalEEMod, AERMOD, EMFAC, and AERSCREEN.
• You are familiar with or are genuinely interested in learning the CEQA process, CEQA and NEPA compliance, and technical writing and analysis of environmental documents and impact analysis for initial studies and EIRs.
• You have outstanding technical writing, research, and analytical skills with a high attention to detail, and enjoy compiling research and data as required by a project.
• Multi-tasking is second nature and you can produce final project documents, products, and reports by stated deadlines.
• You’re able to perform outdoor site visits and field work as a project requires (sometimes on weekday nights or weekends) and in a variety of locations, including urbanized areas, industrial areas, rural areas, busy streets, and near schools. You are comfortable with operating and being on a ladder.
• You’re a self-starter who can work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment.
• You have strong mathematical skills, and advanced skills with high-level functions in Excel.
• You have strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
• You’re interested in assisting with marketing, business development, and proposal efforts for environmental work.
• You’re experienced and proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
• You possess a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in engineering; physics; acoustics; mathematics; environmental sciences; urban, regional, environmental, or natural resource planning; or closely related field.
• You have a current and valid California driver’s license and acceptable MVR to drive on Company business for performing site visits and attending meetings.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this opportunity, submit your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample as a single PDF with the email subject line, “Entry-level Noise/AQ Technical Specialist” to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email or cover letter, please indicate the location you are interested in.
Based in California, PlaceWorks is one of the premier planning, design, and environmental services firms in the U.S. The firm’s expertise and services span a wide range of practices, including city planning, urban design, landscape architecture, environmental review, GIS, and community participation. Our interdisciplinary, holistic approach integrates sustainability, economic vitality, community goals, and collaboration with our clients in the planning and design process. We are passionate about our work and together with our clients, will continue to create great places. To learn more about the work we do, please visit our website: www.placeworks.com.
To our employees, we offer interesting and diverse project work; a casual, collaborative, and flexible work environment; training, professional development, and career growth opportunities; a comprehensive benefits package (for full-time employees); and the chance to work amongst industry leaders, practice area founders, and friendly, supportive, and dedicated colleagues.
PlaceWorks is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at PlaceWorks are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, or any other status covered by applicable federal, state, or local law.