Michael Baker International has an exciting opportunity for a CEQA/NEPA Environmental Planner (Environmental Specialist I) to join our Environmental Services team in our Irvine, CA office.
The Environmental Specialist will be part of a team that provides assistance to both external and internal clients on a variety of projects associated with land development (residential/commercial), transportation, and water resources. The successful candidate will work with other Michael Baker professionals, which may include engineers, environmental analysts, planners, GIS analysts, landscape architects and hydrologists.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 to 10 years of experience successfully preparing and managing California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documents for public and private sector projects (e.g., transportation/transit, residential and commercial developments, utility corridors, parks, schools, and open space). City and County, Port of Los Angeles/Long Beach, California Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration, Southern California Association of Governments, and resource agency permitting experience is a plus.
Strong emphasis will be placed on previous technical experience, quality of work, and the ability to manage project budgets and schedules. Excellent communication skills, willingness to collaborate with others, attention to detail, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment are essential. Some site work will also be required.
Responsibilities will include:
• Preparation of CEQA and NEPA documentation for various types of projects
• Lead meetings with clients and regulatory agencies
• Coordinate reviews with environmental and technical staff
• Scope projects for the appropriate level of environmental review
• Budget control and invoicing
• Maintain schedules
• Manage subconsultants
• Conduct quality control
• Business development, marketing and proposal preparation
• Ability to manage several projects simultaneously
• Minimum of five (5) years of related experience in the environmental field
• BA/BS degree in Planning, Geology, Biology, Environmental Science, or related field
• Experience with federal environmental regulations such as CEQA/NEPA, as well as state regulations
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Excellent analytical skills
• Strong technical writing ability
• Familiarity with technical aspects of the CEQA/NEPA process (traffic, air quality, noise, biology, etc.)
• Experience with CALTRANS environmental documentation