PlaceWorks is seeking a full-time, mid-level planner in Orange County to join our Planning team. We are looking for a planner with at least 4 – 6 years of professional planning experience, ideally with experience in general plans, specific plans, housing, zoning, and community outreach. In addition, having interest/experience in active transportation planning would be a plus. The ideal candidate is creative, self-starting, outgoing, collaborative, and passionate about helping shape and improve communities. Supporting project managers and other senior staff, the Associate Planner will work primarily on research, report writing, analysis, and public outreach to contribute to the successful completion of projects at a variety of scales, often working concurrently on more than one project. The Associate Planner position is also a training ground for project management, where the employee will assist the Project Manager and/or Principal-in-Charge with their respective duties. Typical work of our team includes preparation of general plans, specific plans and housing policy documents; community outreach and engagement; GIS analysis; web development; and active transportation planning, among others. The person in this position would report to an Associate Principal in our Santa Ana office and work with other team members around the state.
You’re most likely a fit if:
• You love planning for the future of communities and making a difference with your work.
• You thrive in collaborative environments. You’re a team player.
• You have strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
• You have excellent writing, formatting, and proofreading skills and are detail oriented.
• Engaging with the public excites you, and you’re willing to jump-in to help with outreach efforts. You may be asked to coordinate meetings, prepare and assemble materials/supplies, present, and/or facilitate discussions at workshops.
• You’re able to attend community workshops which may occur on weekday nights and weekends.
• You have professional acumen to cultivate working relationships with clients, community organizations, and other firms.
• You’re a skilled researcher and enjoy analyzing and compiling research and data as required by a project.
• Multi-tasking is second nature and you can produce final project documents and products by stated deadlines.
• You’re interested in assisting with marketing, business development, and proposal efforts for planning work.
• You are proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat and InDesign.
• You have a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in urban or regional planning, or closely related field.
• You have a current and valid driver’s license, proof of automobile insurance, and acceptable MVR to drive on Company business for performing site visits and attending meetings.
To be considered for this opportunity, submit your cover letter, resume, and writing and/or design samples as a single PDF (no greater than 10MB) with the email subject line, “Associate Planner (Santa Ana)” to email@example.com.
Salary range will be commensurate with experience.
Based in California, PlaceWorks is one of the premier planning, design, and environmental services firms in the U.S. The firm’s expertise and services span a wide range of practices, including city planning, urban design, landscape architecture, environmental review, GIS, and community participation. Our interdisciplinary, holistic approach integrates sustainability, economic vitality, community goals, and collaboration with our clients in the planning and design process. We are passionate about our work and together with our clients, will continue to create great places. To learn more about the work we do, please visit our website: www.placeworks.com.
To our employees, we offer interesting and diverse project work; a casual, collaborative, and flexible work environment; training, professional development, and career growth opportunities; a comprehensive benefits package (for full-time employees); and the chance to work amongst industry leaders, practice area founders, and friendly, supportive, and dedicated colleagues.
PlaceWorks is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at PlaceWorks are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, or any other status covered by applicable federal, state, or local law.