Under general supervision, performs entry-level technical and professional planning work related to enforcement and interpretation of zoning regulations, other municipal code regulations, various State laws, and planning policies, and administering the processes that support these regulations and policies. Duties may include, but are not limited to the following: Checking plans for compliance with Municipal Code, including zoning regulations and other related codes, and for consistency with the General Plan, preparing staff analysis of projects being heard by the Planning Commission and City Council; preparing and conducting planning surveys, land use studies and research; providing information to the public; assisting in preparation of initial environmental assessments in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act; process development applications for a variety of residential and commercial projects, including conditional use permits, zoning changes, subdivisions, site plan reviews, variances, and sign reviews; assists in the review and analysis of revisions to the Municipal Code; participates in and/or conducts field inspections and surveys and performs project site analysis. Performs related work duties as required.
• A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Planning, Public Administration closely related field. One year of experience in the planning field. A Master’s degree in Planning or Public Administration may be substituted for the experience requirement.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of urban planning; understanding of State and Federal planning, zoning, development and environmental laws; knowledge of statistical and research methods applied to the collection and analysis of data pertinent to planning.
• Ability to effectively read construction plans and site plans; ability to communicate both orally and in writing and prepare written reports in a format that can be understood by a layperson; use word processing and spreadsheet software to prepare statistical and narrative reports; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; read and interpret regulations; work and deal courteously and effectively with the general public and co-workers.
• Possession of a valid Class C California driver license with a safe driving record is required and must be maintained during the course of employment.
The City of Hermosa Beach is seeking a dedicated individual to join the team. The Hermosa Beach Community Development Department is a full-service organization committed to high quality service to the residents and visitors of Hermosa Beach. Consisting of 12 staff members, the department administers and enforces standards and codes for the safeguarding of life, health and property. The Community Development Department also provides staff support to a five-member Planning Commission whose members are appointed by the City Council.
The Ideal Candidate
At the City of Hermosa Beach, each individual plays an important role in the delivery of safe, reliable and friendly service to our community and visitors. Over the past several years, we have been working collaboratively to focus on a stronger, deep-rooted culture of customer service expressed in everything we do, while delivering safe and reliable service.
We are looking for a dedicated public servant with a passion for serving the Hermosa Beach community. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional interpersonal skills & communication skills (verbal and written), as well as effective problem-solving skills.
Compensation and Benefits
The following salary and benefits are offered for this position:
Salary Range: $66,744 to $81,132 annually
Alternate Schedule: City Hall is open 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday; staff works a 4/10 schedule with every Friday off.
Retirement: California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) retirement formula is based on appointment date and membership status with CalPERS.
The City does not participate in Social Security but does participate in Medicare, which requires a 1.45% contribution by both the staff member and the City.
Health Insurance: The City pays up to $1,540.38 per month toward medical insurance for the staff member and eligible dependents. The City pays up to $226.30 per month toward the cost of dental insurance for staff members and their eligible dependents. The City offers a vision insurance plan, but does not contribute to the monthly cost.
Retiree Medical: The City offers retiring staff members $400 per month toward the cost of retiree insurance. A retiring staff member must have worked at least 20 years for the City and be at least sixty years of age to be eligible for this benefit.
Disability Insurance: The City pays the premium for both Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage.
Holiday/Vacation/Sick Leave: You will accrue 80 hours of vacation leave per year during the first two years of employment. Subsequent accruals increase with longevity until reaching 160 hours accrued per year commencing with the 18th year of service. You will accrue 8 hours of sick leave per month. The City observes 10 holidays throughout the year.
Term Life Insurance: City-paid term life insurance policy in the amount of one year of annual salary.
Union Membership: Your employment is covered by the Memorandum of Understanding between the City and the Professional and Administrative Group.
To apply for this position, download an Application for Employment from the City website at www.hermosabeach.gov or pick-up an application from the Human Resources Department in City Hall. To be considered for this position, you must submit a completed application, resume, and responses to supplemental questions. Documents can be hand-delivered, mailed via U.S. mail, or e-mailed to HR@hermosabeach.gov.
The filing deadline is November 27, 2019.
City of Hermosa Beach
Human Resources Department
1315 Valley Drive, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
- : https://www.hermosabeach.gov/Home/Components/JobPosts/Job/229/122, https://jobs.cityofbrea.net/CurrentOpenings.aspx
- : HR@hermosabeach.gov, City of Brea Human Resources, (714) 990-7674