As the 2017 year comes to an end it is time for the Orange Section Board Member Elections! We have a number of great candidates running for board member positions and we are so grateful to all of the candidates for volunteering their time! As an APA member, please take a moment to read through the candidate statements below and complete the ballot before December 15th!
Vice Director for Programs:
Amy N. Stonich, AICP
It is with excitement and anticipation that I am running for Vice Director of Programs for Orange Section APA. I am an active member of the American Planning Association practicing as a certified planner (AICP) and have been an active Board Member of APA Orange Section from 2007 to 2013 and served as the 2014 APA California Conference Chair for Programs. I offer over 15 years of professional experience in the public and private sector working for Orange County cities including the cities of Laguna Beach, Lake Forest, Tustin, Anaheim and San Clemente.
With the experience I’ve gained over the years as an active member and board member of APA, I believe I offer experienced leadership to the Orange Section. This section has a strong board that represents the section in a positive light. I feel that together, we can accomplish amazing goals in the next two years.
Vice Director for Membership:
I’m excited at the opportunity to promote APA membership and develop programs to increase membership recruitment and expansion. I understand this position entails a high degree of
responsibility in conveying the principals and ethics of the planning profession to new members and encouraging continued activity and participation with existing members of APA. I will strive to have regular communications with our membership regarding outreach and communication programs, and sponsorship activities. Part of this communication effort will occur by presenting monthly articles in the newsletter to showcase the various award, continuing education, and membership activities. I will also work closely with the local academic institutions to promote APA and its activities to the next generation of planners.
I am an Environmental Sciences Manager with Michael Baker International, specializing in environmental consulting services to public and private clients for over 18 years. I hold a Bachelor’s
Degree in Mechanical Engineering and Environmental Studies from University of California at Irvine and a Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Southern California. I have been a member of APA for 5 years and have been active attending various APA related continuing education and conference activities.
My name is Matt Foulkes and I am running for a 2 nd term as Vice Director for Membership. My day job is as the Planning Manager for the City of Fullerton and I have been an APA member for the last 11-years. During that time I also served on the Orange County APA board as the Vice Director for Professional Development from 2009-2014. During my time as an APA board member I have coordinated the Bob Goldin Golf Tournament, represented the APA on the Planning Director’s Association annual Forum and helped organize a number of networking activities including the annual Angels game and Holiday Mixer. As the economy continues to improve and cities and private firms once again offer to pay for membership dues, the importance of showing value for APA membership is more important than ever. My primary goal as the Vice Director for Membership will be to continue to promote the value of an American Planning Association membership to both prospective and current members by working with the other board members to offer a balanced mix of professional development, networking opportunities and entertainment/fun activities. I want the decision to become an APA member to be just the first step in what will be a career long investment in the Planning Profession and for renewing members to continue to feel supported and valued for their membership. While serving as the Vice Director for Membership this past year, membership in the Orange Section of the APA increased 17% to a total of 525 Members. I am hoping to keep that upward trend going in 2018!
Vice Director for AICP:
Starla Barker, AICP
I have been honored to serve on the APA California Orange Section Board for the past four years as the Vice Director for AICP and submit this statement of candidacy for re-election for the 2018-2019 term. I am very proud of what we have accomplished over the past four years. But there is still much I would like to achieve and wish the opportunity to continue the momentum we have built.
As the Vice Director of AICP, I have worked with my fellow board members to:
• Organize and conduct an annual Orange Section AICP Information Session. We have had over 100 people in attendance over the last four years to learn about AICP – what is AICP; what are the benefits; how to become AICP; how to apply for the exam; how to prepare for and sit for the exam; and how to maintain AICP status.
• Introduce the AICP Candidate Pilot Program to the Orange Section at the 2017 Planners Showcase.
• Improving communication with AICP members in need of CM credits and researching and providing CM opportunities.
• Serving as a resource to AICP candidates seeking application review, study groups, and study materials.
• Active participation with the Professional Development Officers (PDOs) and AICP Directors from other sections and the Chapter.
• Recognizing our 25 newest AICP members through personal emails, eblasts, and formal recognition at our annual Awards event and APA/AEP Holiday Mixer.
• Coordinating with the Vice Directors of Programs to provide over 40 CM credit opportunities.
For this next term I would like to accomplish:
• Working with the State Professional Development Officer to implement AICP Exam Study Sessions available statewide to all members.
• Continuing to organize and implement the annual AICP Information Session and provide updated and improved study resources and materials.
• Provide information and guidance of APA’s AICP Candidate Pilot Program
• Improve communication for all things related to AICP through emails, eblasts, and the website.
• Working with the board members to serve the needs of our members.
I am a Senior Project Manager with Michael Baker International, providing planning and environmental consulting services to public and private clients for over 15 years. I have been a member of APA for 15 years and in addition to serving as the Vice Director of AICP, I served on the Programs Committee for the 2014 State Conference in Orange County.